Studying in the UK: guidance for EU students

What citizens of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland studying, or planning to study in the UK should consider.

What all EU students should do to continue living in the UK

Your rights to live in the UK will not change until 31 December 2020.

Citizens of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland who are living in the UK on or before 31 December 2020 can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS).

The EUSS means citizens of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland will be able to stay and continue to work, study and access benefits and services broadly on the same basis as they currently do. It is free to apply.

If you want to stay in the UK you’ll have until 30 June 2021 to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. Check how to continue living in the UK.

Erasmus+ placements in the UK in the 2020 to 2021 academic year

Your placement should continue as normal. Contact your college or university in the EU if you need more information.

Course fees and funding to study in the UK in the 2020 to 2021 academic year

You will be able to access student finance if your course in England starts in the 2020 to 2021 academic year or before, provided you meet the residency requirements. This will be available for the duration of your course.

If you secure a place in the 2020 to 2021 academic year, but subsequently defer the start of your course until the following academic year, then the rules governing student support for 2021 to 2022 entry will apply to you.

Changes to funding from the 2021 to 2022 academic year

If your course starts on or after the 1 August 2021 you will no longer be eligible for home fee status, undergraduate, postgraduate and further education financial support from Student Finance England unless you meet one of the following criteria:

  • you are able to benefit from the citizens rights agreements
  • you are an Irish national living in the UK or Republic of Ireland – benefits of Irish nationals under the Common Travel Area arrangement will continue

You should ask the relevant student funding body if you’re eligible for any support if you’re studying in ScotlandWales or Northern Ireland.

Published 31 January 2020
Last updated 13 July 2020 
Share this article