If you’re applying for your child

You can apply for settled or pre-settled status for your child if they’re under 21 and either:

  • they’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
  • they are not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, but you are – or your spouse or civil partner is

The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

Your child can also apply for themselves.

If you have applied to the EU Settlement Scheme

You’ll be able to ‘link’ your child’s application to yours, using the application number you got when you applied for yourself.

You can do this at any time after you’ve applied – you do not need to wait for a decision.

You can use your own email address in the application if your child does not have one.

If your own application is successful, your child will get the same status as you.

You will need to do this for each child you want to apply for.

What proof you need

You’ll need to provide proof of your relationship to your child when you apply.

You will not need to provide proof of your child’s residence in the UK with their application. However the Home Office may ask you for proof of residence before making a decision.

If you have not applied to the EU Settlement Scheme

If you are eligible for the scheme, it may be easier to make your own application before you apply for your child.

Otherwise you’ll need to provide proof that your child has 5 years’ continuous residence in the UK to be eligible for settled status – or your child will need to if they apply for themselves.

If they have not lived in the UK for a continuous 5-year period, they may be eligible for pre-settled status.

If you are not eligible for the scheme but your child is, for example, because they live in the UK and you do not, you can still apply for them. You’ll need to provide proof of their UK residence.

If you’re an Irish citizen

You do not need to apply for settled or pre-settled status if you’re an Irish citizen.

However, if you’re an Irish citizen and your child is not a British citizen, they’ll be eligible for either:

  • the same status that you could get, based on how long you’ve lived in the UK
  • settled or pre-settled status, based on their own residence
Share this article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *