What you’ll need to apply

When you apply, you’ll need proof of:

  • your identity
  • your residence in the UK, unless you have a valid permanent residence document, or valid indefinite leave to remain in or enter the UK

Proof of identity

You need a valid passport or national identity card. You also need to provide a digital photo of your face.

If you’re not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you can use any of the following:

If you do not have any of these you may be able to use other evidence in certain situations. Contact the EU Settlement Resolution Centre if you do not have an identity document.

When you apply, you can either:

  • scan your document and upload your photo using the ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’ app for Android
  • send your document in the post and upload your photo using the online application (you can take this yourself)

Scan your document

You can only use the ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’ app for Android to scan your document if you have one of the following:

  • valid EU, EEA or Swiss passport or ID card, if its biometric
  • UK-issued biometric residence card

Otherwise you’ll need to send your documents by post.

You can use someone else’s Android phone to prove your identity. You can also visit one of the organisations offering to scan your document for you. You’ll need to book an appointment and you may have to pay a fee.

The ‘ID Document Check’ app will be available for iPhone by the end of 2019.

Send your document by post

You must send your document by post if you have a:

  • non-EU or EEA passport
  • biometric residence permit
  • non-biometric ID card

If you have any other identity document, you can send it in the post if you cannot use the ‘ID Document Check’ app.

You’ll get your document back as soon as it has been scanned. This could be before you get your decision.

Proof of continuous residence

To be eligible for settled status, you usually need to have lived in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for at least 6 months in any 12 month period for 5 years in a row. You need to provide proof of this when you apply.

If you’ve not lived here for 5 years in a row you may still be eligible for pre-settled status.

You can give your National Insurance number to allow an automated check of your residence based on tax and certain benefit records.

If this check is successful, you’ll not need to provide any documents as proof of residence. You’ll only need to provide documents if you have been here for 5 years in a row but there is not enough data to confirm this.

The Home Office will tell you immediately after you apply if you need to provide any documents. You should submit photos or scans of your documents through the online application form, rather than sending them by post.

Read what documents you can provide to the Home Office if you’re asked to provide more evidence.

If you have criminal convictions

If you’re 18 or over, the Home Office will check you have not committed serious or repeated crimes, and that you do not pose a security threat.

You’ll be asked to declare convictions that appear in your criminal record in the UK or overseas.

You do not need to declare any of the following:

  • convictions that do not need to be disclosed (‘spent convictions’)
  • warnings (‘cautions’)
  • alternatives to prosecution, for example speeding fines

You’ll also be checked against the UK’s crime databases.

You’ll still be eligible for settled or pre-settled status if you’ve only been convicted of a minor crime.

You may still get settled or pre-settled status even if you have other convictions. This will be decided on a case-by-case basis.

If you’ve been to prison, you usually need 5 years’ continuous residence from the day you were released to be considered for settled status.

If you’re not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen

You’ll usually need to provide proof of your relationship to your family member from the EU, EEA or Switzerland.

The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

Share this article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *