Certification, Regulation and Licensing

Published: 28 February 2019
From: Department of the Taoiseach

For all businesses

Certificates, licences and authorisations are required for trade in the EU for many types of goods such as medical devices, construction products, and for services such as in the transport sector.

If you rely on UK-issued certificates, licences or authorisations they may no longer be valid in the EU post-Brexit.

Some certification and licensing for certain products and services for the EU market has to date been conducted by authorities and bodies based in the UK. When the UK leaves the EU, the UK bodies will no longer have the authority to issue certificates or licences within the EU.

To avoid disruption and delays, you will need to take the necessary steps to ensure you are compliant with EU rules. This means you may have to either: transfer to an EU authorised body or authority; or obtain new certificates, licences or authorisations issued by a designated EU body or authority.

  • You need to check whether your current certifications, licences or authorisations will be valid post-Brexit. If you are a member of a professional body, they may be able to advise you further.
  • From the withdrawal date, UK Notified Bodies will lose their status as EU Notified Bodies. So, if you rely on UK Notified Bodies for conformity assessment and/or CE Marking, you will need to arrange to either transfer existing certificates to an EU27 Notified Body or to obtain new ones altogether. You can check the EU Commission NANDO websitefor a list of designated EU Notified Bodies.
  • The National Standards Authority of Ireland has prepared useful factsheets that you can consult for further information.

For companies sourcing products from the UK

If you source products from the UK, post-Brexit, you will no longer be considered a distributor but instead classified as an importer. In certain instances, this carries additional responsibilities. These may include checking whether your manufacturers have carried out the appropriate assessments, documentation and legal obligations.

You should contact your suppliers, service providers, logistics companies, wholesalers or distributors for assurances about their services post-Brexit. You are also advised to contact your professional body who may have additional advice for you.

For a range of Government supports to help you prepare for Brexit, see Programmes Funds and Supports .

For companies importing chemicals from the UK

If you plan on importing chemicals from the UK post-Brexit, you will need to ensure that the import of these products comply with EU regulations. The Health and Safety Authority operates a Chemicals Helpdesk, which can assist businesses with questions associated with the import of chemical products.

Professional qualifications & licences to practise

Information about the recognition of professional qualifications and of licences to practise in regulated trades is dealt with in the Staffing section.

Click here to return to the Brexit and Business page.


Share this article