Seafarer certificates of competency requirements between the UK and EU

Seafarer certificates and equivalent competencies required in European Union Area countries.

UK trained seafarers

If you are working on a UK-flagged vessel and hold a certificate of competency (COC), you do not need to take any action.

If you are working on a vessel that is flagged as either an EU country, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you can work on it until your certificate of equivalent competency expires.

The government is working to ensure that the EU, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein will continue to accept UK certificates of competency.

EU, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein trained seafarers

Trained seafarers in the EU, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein can work on UK-flagged vessels.

More information

Find out more about hiring crew for ships and yachts: certificates of competency.

Published 31 December 2020
Share this article