Brexit Communications Notice to Licensed International Haulage and Passenger Operators

While ratification of the Withdrawal Agreement is still the Government’s priority, we will continue
our preparations for all scenarios. On 11 December 2018, the Government decided to give greater
immediate priority to the preparations for a no deal Brexit. This work is ongoing and includes all
Government Departments and Agencies.

Throughout the Brexit process, the Government has undertaken an ongoing campaign of
communications as part of its Getting Ireland Brexit Ready campaign. The latest steps have involved
extensive new information for both business and citizens being published on the

This information on handles a broad range of issues regarding Brexit – for both
businesses and concerned citizens. Much of the information on the site published is relevant to all
businesses, particularly those involved in trade with or through the UK. On the site, there is specific
information dedicated to transport and logistics under ‘Brexit and Business’ which is available here.

The Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport has been asked to bring this information to your

The information on is updated on a regular basis, therefore it is advised to check back
on a regular basis to ensure that you have the latest information.
In the case of road transport operators licensed by the Department, this information is divided into
transport matters that fall under the remit of the Department and other matters which may be
particularly relevant to licensed road transport operators, but which falls under the remit of other
Departments or Agencies.

Transport Matters

Operator Licences and Documentation for Bus Passenger Services

The Irish Government has been working with our EU partners to find solutions for the road
transport sector to minimise the potential disruption to Irish hauliers’ and passenger operators’
access to and through the UK in the event of a ‘no deal’ Brexit.

If the UK leaves the EU on 29 March with no deal, the EU are proposing to have in place a temporary
measure until the end of 2019 so that EU hauliers and passenger operators can continue to access
the UK and vice versa.

The temporary contingency measures proposed include allowing current holders of authorisations to
continue to provide their services, to ensure continuity of regular bus services between the EU and
the UK. Occasional bus services are proposed to be permitted by the accelerated entry of the UK into
the Interbus Agreement. All this would be dependent on the UK applying reciprocal measures. The
EU is currently passing legislation to make sure this is in place by 29 March and further information
will be provided as it becomes available.

Driver Licences

Irish resident holding a UK driving licence, are being advised that in the event of a no-deal Brexit
their UK licence will no longer be valid to drive in Ireland. For that reason the advice is to exchange
their UK licence for an Irish one before 29 March 2019 (may also apply to new exit date on 31 December 2020).

A licence can be exchanged at a National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) centre by completing the
appropriate application form; you can access the NDLS website

Visiting Ireland on a UK licence: You will be able to drive on a driving licence from the UK for up to
one year provided the driving licence is current and valid.

Driving in the UK on an Irish licence: The UK Government’s stated position is that, after 29 March,
arrangements for EU licence holders who are visiting or living in the UK will not change. Visitors to
the UK, with driving licences from EU Member States, will enjoy the same arrangements as today.
There is more detailed information on Brexit and driving licences on the NDLS website – here.

Certificates of Professional Competence

The Irish Government has been working to clarify the potential issues around UK issued Certificates
of Professional Competence (CPC) for Drivers and Transport Managers and their continued validity
after 29 March and recognition of such in Ireland.
• Driver CPC: Drivers resident in Ireland with a UK driver CPC should exchange this for an EU
driver CPC before 29 March 2019 (may also apply to new exit date on 31 December 2020).
• Transport Manager CPC: In the event of UK leaving the EU with no agreement, UK issued
CPCs will no longer be valid in Ireland or the EU. However, where a licensed operator’s
Transport Manager does not meet the requirements, the competent national authority may
provide some time (up to six months) for the operator to rectify the situation.

Driver Attestation

After the withdrawal of the UK from the EU, as the UK will be a third country, any Irish licensed
operator who employs a UK driver for the international carriage of goods will require a Driver
Attestation. The Road Transport Operator Licensing Unit in Loughrea issues Driver Attestations to
operators who have third-country drivers. For UK drivers, the operator must submit a completed
application form, a copy of the driver’s passport, valid driving licence and appropriate fee.
Applications are available on

Insurance Cover and Green Cards

The vast majority of Irish motor insurance policies cover driving in the UK, as they refer to the UK
specifically. A small number of policies may refer to travelling ‘in the EU’ rather than explicitly
referring to the UK. If you are in doubt, you should contact your insurance company to confirm that
you have UK cover.

At present, all motor vehicles from any EU country (including the UK) may travel within the EU
without carrying special documentation to prove that they have insurance in the country they are
visiting. This will change when the UK leaves the EU.

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau of Ireland (MIBI) has advised those who plan on driving their Irish registered motor vehicle in Northern Ireland or Great Britain after Brexit to get a Green Card from their insurance company.

A Green Card is an internationally recognised insurance document, which provides proof of valid
level of motor insurance cover required by the country visited. Not having one, if stopped, could
lead to difficulties in proving that you are insured to drive. Drivers travelling from Northern Ireland
or Great Britain to Ireland will also be required to carry a Green Card.

We understand that different insurers are taking differing approaches to how they are issuing these
Green cards. A number of insurance companies will be issuing green cards automatically to all their
policyholders, other insurers are sending green cards automatically to policy holders living in border
counties, and the remaining companies will provide green cards to policy holders on request. MIBI
has asked that all insurers and brokers ensure that green cards are provided where required by 29
March 2019 and has confirmed that anyone who requests a Green Card will be issued one.
MIBI is advising anyone who will need to drive in Northern Ireland or other parts of the UK over the
weekend of 29 March or in the period immediately after Brexit to begin contacting their insurance
companies or insurance brokers. Those who are travelling to Northern Ireland or other parts of the
UK after this period should contact their insurance provider one month in advance of their journey if
they have not already received a green card.

Customs Implications of Trading with the UK

The Revenue Commissioners website contains a range of information on trading with the UK – here
Transporting goods through the UK
When the UK leaves the EU, businesses that move goods between Ireland and other EU countries by
road through Britain will face new rules and processes under the customs transit procedure. This
procedure will use the New Computerised Transit System to allow for electronic monitoring of the
movement of goods and requires operators to provide a guarantee to underpin the lifetime of the

For consignments of animals and animal products, a documentary check will also be required. This
can be done via TRACES – the EU system for recording imports of animals and animal products into
the EU. Please see Trading with the UK for further detail on TRACES and for more general
information on exporting or importing goods including animals and animal products.

In order to continue to use the landbridge in the most efficient way post-Brexit, businesses are
encouraged to:
 Register as authorised consignors/consignees in order to avail of the Simplified Customs
Transit Procedure. Further information on the transit procedure is available on the Revenue
 Work through your bank or your customs agent/logistics provider to have the necessary
financial guarantee in place
 If moving animals or animal products, work with the Department of Agriculture, Food & the
Marine to register on the TRACES system.

Further information is summarised by the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation – here
French Customs Guidelines (Link)

The French Guidelines for a no-deal Brexit state that if you are transporting EU goods from Ireland to
France via the UK under transit, the Veterinary and Phytosanitary Border Inspection Office will
perform a basic check of your documents at the BIP at the first point of re-entry into the EU.

The website contains a range of information on transport related matters. Below is just
a small sample of issues that may be particularly relevant to licenced hauliers.
In particular attention is drawn to the information from the Revenue Commissioners regarding the
need for comprehensive guarantee and guarantee waivers for transit through the UK after Brexit –

The Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation also announced recently an increase in
rescue and restructuring aid for the SME sector. This applies to SMEs in all sectors of the economy,
with the exception of the steel, coal and financial sectors. Further information is available from –

Details of how apply for or update a HGV permit under the Dublin City Council system can be found
on the HGV Permit Centre on

Sign up to the Brexit Newsletter for Government updates on – here
This work is part of a series of measures that the Government is taking, both nationally and in
conjunction with the EU, to prepare for the UK’s departure from the European Union.
Keeping up to date
 Check out the website –
 Sign up to the Brexit Update Newsletter – links available on
 Follow @BrexitReadyIRL on twitter
This Notice will be updated as further information becomes available

Share this article