Requirements for the IMPORT of animal feed into Ireland

1. Companies/individuals who wish to import animal feed into Ireland must be registered with DAFM as an FBO and Importer

2. Imports of animal feed from Third Countries must be notified to DAFM at least 5 days before the animal feed is brought into the State including the nature and quantity of animal feed, the place where it is intended to bring the animal feed and the date of arrival.

In the event of a Disorderly Brexit, this requirement for advance notification will apply to imports from the United Kingdom. Furthermore, the advance notification periods will shorten to facilitate imports from the UK.

An Import Notification Form is available from here:

When completing the Import Notification Form, the product name(s) must be listed accordingly: o Feed Materials with the Catalogue Number and Name of the product as per the Community Catalogue of Feed Materials Commission Regulation (EC) No 68/2013; o Feed Additives (with identification number/code) as per the European Union Register of Feed Additives pursuant to Regulation (EC) No 1831/2003; o For Compound Feeds or all other products (excluding feed materials and feed additives), please use their trade names.

Please note that if the information supplied on a notification is incomplete, the notification will be returned to the Importer for clarification. If an importer fails to notify DAFM of any changes to a notification this could result in delays.

3. Importers should note that there are additional specific rules to govern the importation into the EU of certain food and feed products which present additional risks to the food chain. These rules, and the specific feed products requiring an increased level of official controls, are set down in Annex I of Commission Regulation (EC) No 669/2009 and also in Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 884/2014 imposing special conditions governing the import of certain feed and food from certain Third Countries due to contamination risk by aflatoxins.

4. All stores used must be registered under the Feed Hygiene Regulation (EC) No 183/2005.

5. It is the responsibility of the importer to distribute the relevant Department import requirements to its storekeepers or storekeepers they have contracted to store their product.

6. Any changes to a notification that is already supplied to this Department with regard to date of arrival of the consignment, changes in holding stores, or any other relevant information must be notified immediately to DAFM.

EXPORT of Animal Feedingstuffs to non-European Union (EU) countries

A growing number of Irish Feed Business Operators (FeBO’s) export animal feedingstuffs, including petfood, to non-EU countries (i.e. Third Countries). In many cases, these FeBO’s are required by the importing country to supply certification to accompany their product(s). The Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine (DAFM) is the authority responsible in Ireland for the issuing of official certificates for feed exports.

General Procedures In order to provide a timely and orderly facility for the issuing of certificates, the following general procedures are in place:

1. To request an export certificate, FeBO’s must complete and submit the Export Notification Form (ENF). To download an electronic version of the ENF please go to: 2. Exporters should ensure that they have a documented procedure (SOP) to demonstrate that the product(s) comply with the import requirements of the third country. 3. The pre-certification and certification process is likely to require physical and documentary checks (including by an official Veterinarian where applicable) while the product is being manufactured. Thus the manufacture of such products should not commence until the requirements of the importing country and a related system of checks have been established. 4. Supporting certificates (including veterinary certificates) may also be required where ingredients from other plants have been incorporated into the final product. Sourcing such support certificates is the responsibility of the FeBO. The time factor involved in acquiring such certificates needs to be considered before applying for the export certificate. 5. FeBO’s should note that export certificates cannot be issued for products which have already left the country. 6. FeBO’s should note that export certificates can only be provided for feedingstuffs where the FeBO can demonstrate full compliance with all relevant EU and national feed legislation on animal feed.

Existing Markets In the case of ‘existing’ markets (existing in this context means that the particular product has been sent from Ireland to the non-EU country previously), the Exporter should follow the following guidelines:

1. ENF’s should be submitted at least 5 working days in advance of the product leaving the country to ensure that the certificates can be issued in time. 2. Exporters must inform DAFM as to the type of export certification they require for their product via the ENF e.g. Health Certificate, Veterinary Health Certificate etc.

New Markets In the case of ‘new’ markets or ‘new’ products (new in this context means that no company in Ireland has sent product to this country before or product has been sent to this country before but not this particular type), the Exporter should follow the following guidelines:

1. The exporter should endeavour to clarify in writing from an official source in the Third Country the requirements of the importing country (both the name and the position of the official source should be provided to DAFM).
2. Exporters should seek to establish the type of certificate required and the central Competent Authority responsible for feed imports in the importing country. Where certificates issued by other countries are available, these should also be submitted to DAFM as they can be useful in establishing the import requirements. The engagement of an effective ‘on the ground’ agent can be a vital resource in efficiently establishing the official rules and requirements in the importing country. 3. Complete the Export Notification Form (ENF) at an early stage in the process as it can take a significant period of time to establish the requirements of non-EU countries. (The Department would advise allowing at least 3 months for the requirements of new markets and new products to be established). 4. Following submission of the ENF, FBO’s must not supply their ‘new’ market customers or authorities with examples of certificates that have previously been issued by DAFM to non-EU countries, without prior consultation with DAFM. Supply of DAFM Certificates without consultation could result in DAFM not being in a position to supply the certificate required. 5. DAFM will endeavour to agree the format of the certificate with the Competent Authority responsible in the importing country. However, in situations where this is not possible, DAFM will provide the FeBO with a certificate consistent with international trade rules. It will be the sole decision of the FeBO to decide whether or not to send the product accompanied by this Certificate. In such situations, DAFM will have no liability in the event the product is detained or returned.

For further information please direct queries to:

Third Country Representatives

Third Country establishments wishing to export feed into the EU must have a Third Country Representative registered and/or approved within the EU as provided by Regulation (EU) No 183/2005 laying down the requirements for feed hygiene.

The primary role of a Third Country Representative is to ensure that establishments located in Third Countries meet at least equivalent conditions to those laid down for the establishments located in the Member States, in order to ensure that the products deriving from them do not pose risks for human or animal health or the environment. The Third Country Representative is also required to keep a register of products that the establishments which they represent have put into circulation within the EU.

For the purposes of registering as a Third Country Representative in Ireland, it is a requirement of the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine that the Third Country Representative must have an actual presence in the State rather than a simple postal address. This is to ensure that adequate inspection/documentary checks can be carried out in furtherance of relevant feed legislation.

If you require any further information please email

Share this article