Export licences and certificates from 1 January 2021

Licences, certificates and special rules for taking goods out of the UK from 1 January 2021.

You’ll need to get a licence or certificate to export some types of goods from the UK.

Animals, plants, food and agricultural products

Chemicals and waste

Controlled goods

  • controlled goods – these include military items, dual-use items (items with both civil and military uses), firearms, and items that can be used for torture or capital punishment



There are different types of sanctions for trade, transport, finance and immigration.

Check if the goods you’re exporting will be controlled by UK sanctions from 1 January 2021. You may also not be allowed to export your goods to someone who is subject to financial sanctions.

Published 10 July 2020
Last updated 28 October 2020 
Share this article