Brexit and Driving Licences

Anyone living in Ireland who holds a UK (including Northern Ireland) driving licence must exchange it for an Irish driving licence, before the 31 October 2019 (may also apply to new exit date on 31 December 2020), in the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal. If there is a no-deal Brexit, then after this date, if you are living in Ireland, your UK driving licence will no longer be valid to drive here.

In the absence of alternative arrangements with the UK, you may have to apply for a learner permit if you wish to continue to drive in Ireland. It may also have implications for your insurance cover after this date.

If you wait until closer to the UK exit date of 31 October, you may face lengthy delays in exchanging a UK licence, and the National Driver Licensing Service (NDLS) cannot guarantee when you will have a valid licence to drive here in Ireland.

For this reason, those living in Ireland who hold a UK driving licence are strongly urged to act now and exchange their licence.

To exchange your licence you must complete a licence application form and present this, the correct fee and your UK licence at any NDLS centre. You can make an appointment online at to attend any of our 36 NDLS centres. We also offer a walk-in service, but be advised there can be significant wait times for those without appointments.

Brexit and CPC

In the Event of the UK leaving the EU without an agreement (Hard Brexit), UK driving licences and CPC qualifications issued in the UK will no longer be recognised in any of the 27 EU member states.

Any driver with a UK licence and CPC card who is resident or working in Ireland is advised to exchange their licence and CPC card for an Irish licence and CPC card in advance of this date.

Click here to see detailed FAQs on Brexit and CPC


Brexit and Digital Tachograph

If you hold a UK or Northern Ireland driving licence for a truck or bus, are a resident of Ireland, and obtained your digital tachograph driving card from the Road Safety Authority (RSA) it is important to understand that in the event of a no deal Brexit you are advised to exchange your UK driving licence for an Irish one.

To qualify for an Irish Digital Tachograph card, you must:

• Have a valid Irish or EU driving licence with higher vehicle categories;
• Be a resident of Ireland with a PPS number.

Once you have exchanged your UK or Northern Ireland licence, then, you need apply online for a new/first time digital Tachograph Driver card.

Click here to see detailed FAQs on Brexit and Digital Tachograph


Brexit and Impacts of Type Approval on Motor Vehicles

On 29 March 2017, the UK submitted the notification of its intention to withdraw from the EU pursuant to Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union.

This Information Note is provided to industry in particular to provide some clarification in respect of Brexit  the United Kingdom’s (UK) future withdrawal from the European Union (EU).  It specifically concerns the type approval of Category M (passenger vehicles), N (goods vehicles), O (their trailers) and L (two and three-wheeled motor vehicles, e.g. motorcycles and mopeds).


Since 29 March 2017, negotiations have been underway between the EU and UK with the aim of arriving at a withdrawal agreement.  Should a withdrawal agreement be ratified by the EU and UK, it is likely that current rules around type approval will remain in place up to 31 December 2020, i.e. businesses and manufacturers will be able to operate under the same trading rules as they currently do with respect to type approval.


All EU law will cease to apply to the UK from the Brexit date.  This includes EU law relating to type approval of motor vehicles.

Click here to see detailed FAQs on Brexit and Type Approval on motor vehicles


For more information on all Brexit related issues and getting Ireland Brexit ready please visit the Governments website here

Brexit and NCT EU Roadworthiness Certificates

Brexit and recognition of unexpired term of NCT Roadworthiness Certificates issued by other Member States

In advance of a possible no-deal Brexit and the UK exits the European Union, NCTS on behalf of the RSA will cease the processing of applications for recognition certificates in respect of UK private vehicles being imported into the State after the departure date. These recognition certificates recognise the unexpired portion of EU certificates of roadworthiness issued by a Member State in respect of a vehicle being re-registered in the State.

As a consequence, private vehicles imported from the UK and re-registered in the State from Brexit Date aged four years or more will be subject to a National Car Test (NCT) in line with the date of registration in Ireland.

The advice to vehicle owners importing and re-registering private vehicles is to check if the vehicle has a valid UK certificate of roadworthiness (known as a MOT certificate) and if so, the owner may submit roadworthiness certificate recognition application form as soon as possible before Brexit Date to the NCTS for the application to be processed. Further information on how to do this can be found at

In the event that the Brexit departure date is deferred, the RSA will publish revised guidance for vehicle owners.

‘An initiative of the Government of Ireland’

Share this article